Following is a selection of some of the homes that were occupied by members of the family over the centuries and some of the churches in which they were baptised, married and buried. The majority of the photos were taken in 2002.
To obtain other photos for local history research that are not shown here, both new and old, please contact us.
See a full list of all the homes, churches and properties referred to in these records including in which centuries they existed.
We do not know when the properties listed below in Cawthorne, Ingbirchworth and Worsbrough were originally constructed. They are all in the same area of Yorkshire.
However, as part of our research, we collected information from various sources including the publication South Yorkshire – Volume I (1974) by Joseph Hunter, in which he wrote:
In Gunthwaite deeds, there is reference to three generations of Micklethwaits before the time of Edward I (1272–1307). Namely: Roger de Micklethwait, his son John and grandson Baldwin JM1001.
Gunthwaite adjoins Ingbirchworth. Those deeds seem to indicate that three generations of Micklethwaits were living in this area of Yorkshire in the 13th Century and some of the properties illustrated may have been Micklethwait homes at that time.
Commencing 13th Century
Banks Hall and Cawthorne Parish Church, Yorkshire
It is said that Banks Hall now stands on the site of the original Micklethwait home. In the book A History of Cawthorne there is a paragraph headed ‘Banks Hall’. It states that this house was formally called Micklethwait or the Bank.
In the same publication, there is a reference to members of the Micklethwait family in Cawthorne in 1379 at the time of Richard II Poll Tax.
In another publication, there is a reference to the Micklethwait family home being demolished prior to the building of the hall now known as Banks Hall.
There are 17 entries listing Micklethwaits in the Cawthorne Parish Registers dating from 1658 to 1711. Also, there are 10 earlier entries in the Bishops’ Transcripts dating from 1626 to 1638.
Woolgreave Farmhouse and Cawthorne Parish Church, Yorkshire
We do not know when the house was originally built, but the 1379 Poll Tax returns for Yorkshire refer to William and Joanna Micklethwait of Cawthorne JM1015. It is likely that they either lived where Banks Hall now stands or at nearby Woolgreave.
Various other Micklethwaits are listed in the Cawthorne Parish Registers and Bishops Transcripts from 1626 until 1711. It is likely that some of them lived at Woolgreave.
We know definitely that Micklethwaits lived in the house circa 1700 because of a monumental inscription in Cawthorne Parish Church graveyard, which refers to Mary JM1831A, wife of Josias Micklethwait of Woolgreave JM1831, who died 1710 aged 68 years, and to her son John JM1831B, buried 1676.
Commencing 16th Century
Grange Farmhouse, Ingbirchworth and York Minster, Yorkshire
We do not yet know the date that this house was built, but it has an inscription over the front door which reads, ‘John Micklethwait JM 37 owned this house in 1624′.
It is quite possible that this house, now known as ‘The Grange’, was also owned by his father (born 1546) JM11, possibly by his grandfather (died 1594) JM3 and also by his great grandfather (1490–1544) JM1, as he had four sons, all of whom were described as being ‘of Ingbirchworth’.
So far we have traced three houses in Inbirchworth that were owned by the family at this time – this one and the two that follow. It seems likely that the elder son JM11 lived in this house in the second half of the 16th Century.
Whilst Penistone Church was the local parish church for Ingbirchworth, there are records from the 17th Century showing members of the family being buried at York Minster.
Annat Royd Farmhouse, Ingbirchworth and Penistone Parish Church, Yorkshire
We do not yet know the date that this house was built, but it was referred to in Adam Eyre’s Diary of 1647 when he talks of walking with Richard Micklethwait JM57 towards Annat Royd.
The house may well have been built by third brother Richard Micklethwait (1520–1589) JM9. If so, the family owned it for six generations.
Two closes, Annat Royd and Oxcloses are referred to in an indenture made between members of the Micklethwait family on 12 Feb 1580/1.
There are numerous entries in the Penistone Parish Registers that refer to members of the family over many generations.
Upper House, Cawthorne and Penistone Parish Church, Yorkshire
We do not yet know whether it was also occupied by later generations. Prior to a boundary change, this property was previously known as Upper House, Ingbirchworth.
Swaithe Hall and Worsbrough Parish Church, Yorkshire
We know that this hall, now known as Swaithe Hall Farmhouse, was occupied by the family in 1544 – and probably for some time before that.
It was extended in 1618 by Richard Micklethwait (1550–1640) JM440. Until recently there was a plaque on the front of the house inscribed R.1618. M, which denoted his insertion of a first floor over the hall.
Commencing 17th Century
Master’s House and Temple Church, London
Paul Micklethwait JM822 of the Southern Branch was Master of The Temple – the Rector of the Church from 1628 until 1639. The house was originally built by Sir Christopher Wren. It was badly damaged by enemy action in World War II and was restored after the war.
The end of Temple Church can be seen on the left of the first photo. Part of this ancient church is round as illustrated in the second photo. The Church was consecrated in 1185 – the whole Temple community had moved from an earlier site in High Holborn.
The church was the chapel serving the London Headquarters of the Knights Templar and from them it took its name. Effigies on the floor of the round church commemorate patrons of the Knights Templar who are buried there.
Hopton Hall and St Johns Church, Upper Hopton, Mirfield, Yorkshire
Daniel Micklethwait (1681–1765) JMP1 lived here, as did following generations. Source: 1851 Census records.
James Micklethwait JMP20 donated the land for this church and laid the first stone in 1844.
Cherry Burton House and Cherry Burton Parish Church, Yorkshire
This house now stands on the site of the old rectory. Three generations of the family lived here including Sir John Micklethwait (1612–1681) JM470, who became President of the Royal College of Physicians in London and also Personal Physician to King Charles II.
His father, Thomas Micklethwait JM432, was the Rector of Cherry Burton and Member of The Westminster Assembly of Divines in London as Yorkshire Representative in 1642.
The Long Marston Rectory and Long Marston Church, Yorkshire
One of the family, another Elias, JM52, commanded a Troop of Horse at the Battle of Marston Moor in 1644 but died of his wounds.
The Gilling East Rectory and the Gilling East Church, Yorkshire
There are also records of other family members having worshipped at these churches.
Swine in Holderness Parish Church, Yorkshire
Four generations of the family lived at a family home in Swine, which was regrettably demolished before the age of photography.
In 1639, Joseph Micklethwait JM42 and his son John JM67 acquired the former priory’s Manor of Swine. Later John’s son, Joseph JM90, added to the estate by buying the rectorial estates in Swine and at nearby Ganstead. The estate descended in turn to his sons.
When both brothers died unmarried, the estate passed into the hands of another family.
The Manor House, Ardsley and Darfield Parish Church, Yorkshire
37 members of the family are recorded as having worshipped at this church over the generations.
Beeston Hall and Sprowston Parish Church, Norfolk
Four generations of the family lived in the old hall that stood on this site prior to the erection of the new hall which appears in the photo.
The family bought and then completely re-built the old hall. They were Lords of several manors in both Norfolk and Suffolk.
There are records of the family worshipping in this church, including a very fine family monument inside it to the left of the alter.
Commencing 18th Century
Billingley Hall and Darfield Parish Church, Yorkshire
This house was occupied by the family from about 1750 through to the time of the 1851 Census.
Some pews in the Darfield Parish Church are still named ‘Benjamin Micklethwait of Billingley Hall’.
Ardsley House and Ardsley Parish Church, Yorkshire
The last Lord of The Manor of Ardsley died in 1976. When this photo was taken, the house was a hotel, but the building has since been demolished.
Ardsley Parish Church was built in 1841 on land donated by the Micklethwait family, and there are several memorials to the family within the church.
Iridge Place, Hurst Green and Salehurst Parish Church, Sussex
One was created a baronet by Queen Victoria and another was High Sheriff of Sussex. They owned estates in many counties and also some overseas.
None of them had issue, so when Southerton died, the house passed to his eldest sister Sarah JM894, who owned it until she married.
Within Salehurst Parish Church, there is a monument to two members of the family and a family hatchment with an explanatory notice.
Taverham Hall and Taverham Parish Church, Norfolk
Taverham Hall was built by the Micklethwait family on the site of an earlier hall.
The hall and estate eventually passed to another family by marriage when there were no further male heirs in this branch of the family.
Various members of the family are buried here in the churchyard. Some individually and some in a family vault.
Claxton Grange and Bossall Church, Yorkshire
Claxton Grange was the home of the Faber Micklethwaits from c. 1793.
Members of this branch still live near York and in County Durham.
Bossall Church was used by those who lived at Claxton Grange, and there is a family grave in the churchyard.
Commencing 19th Century
Clayton Hall, Clayton West and High Hoyland Church, Yorkshire
The family then moved on to Billingley Hall as shown at the start of the 18th Century section above.
The former High Hoyland Church (photo by Steve F.) is where the children would have been baptised. It is now a private residence.
Coltishall Hall, Norfolk
The 1851 Census records show that the Rev. John Micklethwait JM891 and his wife were living at Coltishall Hall prior to inheriting Taverham Hall when his half-brother Nathaniel Waldergrave Micklethwait JM890 died in 1856. It is said that there has been a hall on this site since c. 1700 and it is believed it was modernised in 1830. It was altered again when it was given the current facade, which bears the date of 1871.
The Old Vicarage and Hickling Parish Church, Norfolk
The Old Vicarage was the home of The Reverend Sotherton Nathaniel Micklethwait (1823–1889) JM902. He was Rector of Hickling for some 40 years, Principal Landowner and Lord of The Manors of Hickling Overhall, Hickling Netherhall and Hickling Stannow. His father JM880 owned the land before him.
There are references to the family within this beautiful secluded church in Hickling, a small village on the famous Norfolk Broads.
Hodroyd Hall and Felkirk Parish Church, Yorkshire
Hodroyd Hall was owned by Lord Galway, but he was apparently an absent landlord. John Micklethwait of Hodroyd JM505 was his tenant, and it seems likely that John and his family lived in Hodroyd Hall. This is because the records show they had let out Painthorpe House – the nearby house they owned.
The church records include references to family members worshipping here over several generations.
Red House and Whiston Parish Church, Rotherham, Yorkshire
This house built circa 1880 was purchased in 1882 by William Henry Micklethwait JM572. He lived there until his death in 1925 and his widow continued to live there until she died in 1932.
This was the parish church used by the Micklethwaits of Red House, and there are several family graves in the churchyard.
Penhein and St Mary’s Church, Llanvair Discoed, Monmouthshire
There is reference in the stained glass window to the Micklethwait family, and the Admiral’s Battle Flag is still displayed in the church. There are also a number of family graves in the churchyard.
Old Thornville, Kirk Hammerton, Yorkshire
In his will, John JM149 left all ‘my freehold messuages lands tenements mines minerals tythes and rent charges, etc. situated and being near Thornville otherwise Little Cattall Kirkhammerton and Great Cattall’.
Various churches in York
In addition to York Minster, there are records of the family having worshipped in York at St Thomas, St Peter, St Martin Micklegate, St John’s Micklegate, Holy Trinity Micklegate and All Saints (one being buried at All Saints Pavement). There are currently no photos available of these churches.
Commencing 20th Century
Preston Hall, Uppingham, Rutland
This home is also still occupied by members of the family, and we do not have a photo yet.